How Many Of These Closed Texarkana Restaurants Do You Remember?
A little while back I did a post on Facebook asking you what restaurants we needed back in Texarkana. Some of the restaurants have only been closed for a short while and some of them are classic, like back in the 80s and 70s.
After a little driving around and sharing stories with my son about the places that we used to love, I wanted to do a little quiz. See how many of these 10 old-school restaurants you can name by looking at their former locations in Texarkana.
No peeking. The answers are at the end of the story.
1. Let's start with an easy one. This was once one of Texarkana's favorite restaurants and was family owned from 1931 unit it was closed in 2017.
2. This was once a good ole BBQ place. The funny thing is that the owner of the restaurant was named Walt. He came to the station to record his own commercials back in the day.
3. There was once a super Mexican Place here with awesome service and the best tortillas.
4. Just across the street from the last restaurant sat this Texarkana favorite. From the great burgers and my personal favorite the Chicken Oscar. This place was locally owned and my go-to spot for taking a date to for all of the great local decor and food.
5. Oooh, this was once a very nice Italian place with some great Tomato Cheese Toast. The good news it is making a comeback on the Arkansas side of town.
6. I know most of you will remember when this was a hopping little Mexican place with a Cadillac out front, but who remembers the great pepperoni pizza that came out of this place?
7. I am so glad there is a new place in this spot. And at one time it was a Chinese buffet. But what was this restaurant back in the day? I remember getting a great cheeseburger there with the Kraft Fancy Ketchup in the containers with the gold top.
8. Do you know what this restaurant used to be? For a time it was a little club, but I remember seeing my very first big-screen TV there when playing video games and enjoying some great pizza.
9. This cafeteria called Central Mall it's home back in the day. It was one of the more popular places that people wanted to bring back to Texarkana. They are still in business today and have multiple locations in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.
10. I saved the toughest one for last. The place that used to occupy this spot had great food and you could get fillets or you could get them whole. I even used to wait tables there back in the late 90s.
Now for the answers
1. Bryce's Cafeteria
2. Bob's Smokehouse
3. La Caretta
4. Doc Alexander's
6. Ken's Pizza
8. Mr. Gatti's
9. Luby's Cafeteria
10. The Hush Puppy
.How many did you get right?
LOOK: Famous Historic Homes in Every State