Favorite High School Cruising Hangouts in the 1970’s in Texarkana
It's that time of year again, back to school, Friday Night Football, and hanging with friends from school.
Back when I was in school at Arkansas High which was in the late 70s, yes I am pretty much giving away my age we had a lot of places we hung out at after a game or on the weekend.
One of my favorite places I liked to hang out was cruising out to Lake Texarkana which is now Wright Patman Lake to a beach area known as Crippled Children's Landing. Most of all my friends would be there every weekend and we would just cruise around in a circle there. Yeah, it didn't take much to amuse us back then because after all there were no cell phones back then just 8-track tapes, cassettes, records, and the radio which I was on during my high school days.
So several years ago, I asked a few of my friends about their favorite high school hangouts. The responses I received brought back a ton of memories and a few laughs as well.
Here are some responses I got, I won't mention my friends' names just their comments. Remember these were places in the 1970s era.
1. We hung out at the Safeway parking lot at Summerhill Road and West 40th Street.
2. The Tastee Freeze and an old gas station at the corner of Summerhill and College Drive.
3. We ran the Wamba Shuffle at Waterworks Lake which is now known as Bringle Lake.
4. Sometimes we would just hang out at Spring Lake Park and cruise around in a circle over and over.
5. On the weekends we would hang out at Crystal Springs out in Maud during weekends, especially in the summertime.
6. We would hang out at the A&P parking lot, which was a grocery store in case you are wondering. There were several in the Texarkana area back then.
7. A lot of us would hang out in the parking lot of Summerhill Skating Rink.
8. Some of us would just hang out in the Texas High parking lot.
9. A lot of my friends would gather in the Arkansas High parking lot.
10. If we really wanted to get adventurous we would travel up to Little Missouri Falls during the summer camping season just to get on the winding staircase there.
It was a much simpler time back then and wasn't as dangerous as it is today. I'm sure a lot of you had your favorite spot you like to hang out over the decades, so feel free to share it on our Facebook page.